The company was founded in 1903 by Cyrus Adler and R.S. Hill in Louisville, Kentucky, strictly as an organ manufacturer. As with most major manufacturers, partnerships often consisted of investor and master. Adler was a successful owner of a large company sawn timber. R.S. Hill was at the "Mason and Hamlin." Hill would be a caretaker, who developed the instruments and supervised their design and quality.
Louisville, Kentucky, was a strange place, given that the majority of manufacturers have chosen New York, Chicago and Boston as the ideal place. Adler chose Louisville because of the good rail access, and felt confident that the placement of a prime. Adler moved to the present building, formerly a furniture company.
In 1904, a plan was developed to create a large factory across the street. But a dispute arose with the deputies of the City Council. Adler wanted to set a simple switch and rail to connect the two units. Some council members objected to the plans for no apparent reason, and were given small arguments. In the end, the project of new construction has been canceled, with the result that hundreds of construction jobs have been lost.
In the room the fire started with the packaging, which destroyed part of the building. The damage amounted to about 15 000 dollars (currently about 380 thousand dollars). Full credit was given the fire, otherwise it would be lost. However, water to extinguish the fire, caused great damage to the appliance.
Adler has prepared a grand and glorious exhibit at the Louisiana Purchase Exhibition in St. Louis. It was an exhibition that introduced an ice cream cone. Apparently, the exhibition succeeded because they got a five-year contract with Sears & Roebuck to build a body of Beckwith.
Over the next year they had 100 employees who earned $ 50 150 per month.
Ultimately, the plant expanded to 100,000 square feet and occupied an entire city block. The company had its own power plant with capacity of 350 horsepower and 500 electrical lights of more than ten miles of electrical wire.
The company delivered 40 bodies per day, and has become the largest manufacturer in Louisville at the time. In the period from 1910 to 1928 they also built Adler Piano, widely known to the public as a piano Beckwith, sold by Sears through catalogs.
Manufacturing Adler, as well as Geo. P. Bent Piano company may be bought by "Sears & Roebuck", which will sell the piano and organ until 1949.